As part of my journey to be healthy, I have come up with this porridge made with quinoa. Labelled a superfood, quinoa has a low glycemic index, is gluten free and is a great source of protein.
For more information check out 12 things you should know about quinoa
Makes 1 serving
1 C filtered water
1/2 C Quinoa
3/4 C Non-dairy milk- Soy, almond or rice milk
1/2 t Ground cinnamon
1 t Vanilla extract
1 T LSA (linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds)
1 t Organic honey to sweeten (optional)
Fresh fruits- I use sliced banana, dried figs, blueberries and raspberries
1) Rinse quinoa under cold running water.
2) Bring quinoa to the boil. Rule- 2 parts of water to 1 part quinoa.
3) Once brought to the boil, simmer and cover for 10 minutes or until soft and the water is absorbed.
4) Add milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract and LSA. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until creamy.
5) Sweeten with honey if desired. Top with fresh fruit.
Such a wholesome and healthy breakfast that I love!
Recipe adapted from The Healthy Chef